VISUAL SCAN© SPACE AUDIT
LibQUAL+ is a suite of services that libraries use to solicit, track, understand and act upon users’ opinions of service quality.
The Visual Scan© Space Audit assessment tool has been used successfully along with . The Space Audit addresses the potential of the library space as an untapped resource. The Space Audit is most appropriate when space reorganization and major renovation are involved.
Symptoms of a poor library space are unexpected dysfunctions, poor quality of space and lack of performance in terms of collection content, seating and learning spaces. The goals of the Visual Scan© Space Audit are to:
· Provide quality learning spaces.
· Identify best practices in library planning by providing space standards.
· Enhance library staff members’ skill in evaluating the current space environment.
· Aid in developing strategic plans.
· Understand how to reorganize and restructure the library environment.
· Develop skills in optimal placement of functions in a given space.
· Align strategic plans and case statements for project funding.
In an actual case study at Duquesne University’s Gumberg Library, a assessment was conducted, followed by a Space Audit that addressed ways to improve space dysfunction. A second assessment showed major service improvements.